Thursday, January 3, 2013

Two Ladies


23 December 2012

I was walking in the sunshine
In the street this Sunday morn.
I was wearing only slippers
‘cause my skin was badly torn


On my feet and on my ankles,
On my arms and on my chest.
So I didn’t really worry
That I wasn’t dressed the best.

And I still derived amusement
When I thought about my plight
That psoriasis afflicts you
When the rest of you is right.

Way ahead I saw two ladies
Who reside next door to me
In the old age home that has been
Home to them and home to me

For some years, maybe a decade.
Me, I have been less than ten,
Yes, it’s now eight years exactly
Since I signed and then moved in.
  
We had passed a row of hedges
Where the ladies stopped to smell
Blooms of white and luscious emerald
But their names I cannot tell.

Growing older, walking slower,
That is what I often find:.
Facts and figures, names, statistics
Will no longer come to mind.

Now the ladies must have heard me,
Slippers, silent thoughts, and all.
“Hello, John!” they turn and greet me,
And it’s now I am feeling small.

I’m in trouble, big, big trouble,
I must hide my head in shame
I cannot respond that quickly
I’ve forgotten both their names.

So I smile and wave a greeting,
Hail them in a cheerful tone,
Desperately still in search of …
‘Is it Mary, Maud, or Joan?’

When a car skids round a corner.
And a lamppost stops it dead.
Of the witnesses I promise
Ann and Ruth I won’t forget.




No comments:

Post a Comment