Thursday, August 30, 2012

Worthwhile



5th August 2012

So, has it been worthwhile?
It took two marriages and one drawn-out affair
To find, to choose, to pick
The right, the only one that suits my bed and board.


I do not see a God
Benign or vengeful or at all concerned
With what I do or think,
I, homo sapiens, amongst a million others.

The fable will not die
That Moses climbed up to the very top
Of Sinai to write
The Ten Commandments and associated works.

But be they deity given
Or written by a moralist with a penchant
To cloth the naked truth
In brilliant garments, dazzling mind and reason,

I feel obliged to listen
To what the priest, the rabbi, and the mufti
Declare in unison:
Our creed and tolerance are all the same;

The God or Gods of neighbours
And our own constrain us to observe
Their dictates and their rules
And stern commands - and airy promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment