Thursday, October 18, 2012

Forgiveness


14 October 2012

There is a gross disparity
Between my present life and how
I lived before.
My school years echo with injunctions:
“You must do well! You must be trained
To fight to live!”


I crammed my head with formulae,
With languages and histories
(some true, some lies),
And then I soiled my hands with grease
To learn a craft at odds with all
I meant to do.

I changed my job and from then on
I wore a suit, not overalls.
In church I married
A woman whom I ceased to love
When all affection, hers, then mine
Had disappeared.

That is the past.  My second wife –
We lived and loved for more than forty
Exciting years.
She is no more.  I sleep alone.
I know her grave, but do not visit
Where she is not..

It seems to me that I have learnt
To view the present and the past
As smiling friends.
The urge to score, to win has gone,
And in its place forgiveness joins
Conflicting contours.

No comments:

Post a Comment